Today’s recipe for Beef Stroganoff is real cold day comfort food. As with all stewing recipes, I tend to make them the night before as I find the flavours improve overnight.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 300g (11 oz) Mushrooms
- 600g (21 oz) Stewing beef
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- 100ml (1/2 cup) double cream
- A bay leaf, salt and pepper
Gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in some fat (any good fat of your choice, not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot. Add the beef and brown. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes.
Cover the cooking ingredients with boiling water of hot stock if you have it, add the bayleaf and season well. Transfer to the oven for 3 hours at 170 deg C or until the beef is tender
The next day when ready to eat, heat up the Stroganoff, add the cream and Dijon mustard and it’s ready to eat. Don’t boil it or it may cause the cream to curdle.
Serve with veg of your choice, in this photograph it’s our favourite Cauli mash. Enjoy!