In the 70’s in the US, saturated fat was incorrectly demonised for causing heart disease, in particular in middle aged men. This is where our current conventional food pyramid originates from. This conclusion was incorrect. The rise in heart disease on the 60’s and 70’s was attributable to smoking.
A Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet has many benefits, as long as the fats are from a natural source, no processed seed oils or transfats allowed.
LCHF diets result in
- Reduced Abdominal fat
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced fasting blood sugar levels
- Reduced triglycerides (these are bad!)
- Increased HDL (this is protective)
- Better appetite control
- Maximum weight loss if over weight
The benefits of good fats are getting a lot more attention now as obesity and metabolic syndrome in the western world spirals out of control. An excellent article on the benefits of LCHF can be read here.
Tonights dinner is Chilli Con Carne. Its flavour benefits greatly from cooking the night before eating.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 600g (21 oz) of stewing beef
- 1 tin of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 heaped tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp of ground cumin
- 1 dessert spoon of chilli powder
- A bay leaf, salt and pepper
Gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in some fat (any good fat of your choice, not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot for about 10 minutes or until soft. Add the stewing beef and brown fully.
Add the cinnamon and cumin and mix through. Add the tin of tomatoes to the pot with a handful of finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary. Cover all the ingredients with boiling water or stock and the bayleaf. Season well and transfer to the oven at 170deg C for 3 hours or until the beef is tender.
You should give it a quick stir every hour or so and add more boiling water if it is drying out.
When it is cooked remove any children’s portions and then add the chilli for the spicy adult version. Adjust the level of spiciness to your own personal taste.
Serve with diced onion, grated cheddar cheese and guacamole.