Dr Eric Westman is an associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, with a special interest in disease prevention. He has a 7 step guide to healthy low carb living which are
- Avoid Sugar and Starch (carbohydrates). Read the labels!
- Eat “Real Foods” that have no Carbs – meat, fish poultry and eggs
- Eat healthy Fat to Lose Fat
- Eat Greens Every Day
- Drink Lots of Liquids
- Increase Activity/Reduce Stress
- Eat When You’re Hungry, Stop When You’re Full
Today the recipe is for Kale Chips, addressing point 4 above. If you struggle to eat greens these are a real winner.
Don’t knock them them till you’ve tried them!
- 2 tblsp of Coconut Oil
- 3 large handfuls of kale
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (350 F). Place a baking tray with the coconut oil into the oven to heat the oil.
Cut the thick stalks from the kale. Wash the kale and dry really well or the chips will turn out soggy. Remove the heated baking sheet and stir the kale into the oil, season well with salt and pepper. Cook for approx 12-15 minutes stirring occasionally until the kale is crispy.