An LCHF ( Ketogenic) diet can significantly reduce feelings of hunger, one of the major problems people experience on a low fat diet.
Source: Johnstone AM, et al. Effects of a high-protein ketogenic diet on hunger, appetite, and weight loss in obese men feeding ad libitum. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2008.
This reduces the need for constant snacking, which in turn improves insulin resistance.
Source: Samaha FF, et al. A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. New England Journal of Medicine, 2003.
Chicken breasts can be very unsatisfying meat to eat, the fattier leg, thigh and wing are much tastier and more filling. Knowing that fat in the absence of a carbohydrate overload is actually beneficial for your health, its great to be able to eat fatty meats without worry.
The chorizo and smoked paprika gives this dish a Spanish feel.
- 1 roasted free range chicken
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 2 tins of whole plum tomatoes
- 150g of chorizo
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 heaped tsps of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- A handful of fresh thyme
- A bay leaf, salt and pepper
- Gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in some fat (any good fat of your choice, not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot for about 10 minutes or until soft
- Add the sliced chorizo and fry until it is browned
- Add the tins of tomatoes, peppers, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper to the pot with a handful of finely chopped fresh thyme
- Add 150ml of boiling water and the bay leaf. Season well and allow to simmer for 45 minutes
- Serve with roasted kale and roasted chicken with the skin on!