When following an LCHF lifestyle, it is worth selecting the fattier cuts of meat. In the case of chicken this means choosing the legs, thighs and wings including the skin rather than the breast.
This dish uses the fattier cuts of chicken thighs on the bone with skin on which gives a great flavour to the dish.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 1 tin of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 large handful of olives
- A handful of fresh rosemary, chopped small
- 500g of chicken thighs on the bone
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika (optional)
- A bay leaf, salt and pepper
Gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in some fat (any good fat of your choice, not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot for about 10 minutes or until soft.
Add the tin of tomatoes, olives and rosemary to the pot. Add 150ml of boiling water, the bay leaf and paprika if using. Season well and brig to a simmer.
Now fry the chicken portions well in a separate pan to ensure that the chicken skin gets brown. Add the chicken to the pot with the tomato sauce, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Serve with grated parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil and a summery green salad