The new film “The big Fat Fix” by UK heart surgeon Dr Aseem Malhotra and documentary maker Donal O’Neill is well worth a watch. Check it out http://www.thebigfatfix.com/ Contrary to popular belief a Meditteranean diet is not lots of pizza and pasta but is actually a low carb diet with lots of good healthy fats particularly in the form of extra virgin olive oil. As Aseem Malhotra espouses “fat isn’t the enemy but sugar is”, and “refined carbohydrates — white bread and white pasta — are false friends, to be consumed only in moderation”.
A slower pace of life and reduced stress levels also helps contributes to better heart health.
Picnics are a great way to spend some relaxing time and these mini quiches are perfect low carb picnic food. These are very easy to make and you can try lots of different fillings, aim to have the egg/filling mixture about 50/50.
- 1 small onion grated in food processor
- 1 courgette grated in food processor
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 50 ml of full fat milk
- 50g of cheddar cheese sliced thinly
- Pre heat the oven to 190 deg C.
- Grease a muffin tin well with butter or fill with muffin cases.
- Whisk the egg and milk together well and season with salt and pepper. Combine with the onion, courgette and tomatoes.
- Divide evenly between the muffin cases and then top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 14 minutes, beware overcooking as they will go rubbery.