Lamb is a naturally fatty meat that is also high in protein and many vitamins and minerals. It is particularly suited to a low carb diet.
This recipe uses a leg of lamb but it would also be equally good made with a cheaper cut such as shoulder.
- 1.4 kg leg of lamb
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 1 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 200g of olives
- 1 small tin of anchovies
- 1/4 squash cut into pieces (no need to peel)
- 1 large sprig of rosemary (or thyme)
- 5-6 whole cloves of garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- bay leaf, salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
In a large heavy bottomed pot, gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery and the cloves of finely chopped garlic in some healthy fat (not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot.
Add the lamb and brown it.
Add approx 0.5 l of hot stock or water, the olives, anchovies, whole garlic, rosemary, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
Once it’s simmering, cover the pot and transfer to the preheated oven for about 1 hour. At this point, add the squash and continue to cook for another 40 minutes or until the meat is tender.
To serve, sprinkle with the lemon zest with non starchy veg.